In the Name of Allah the Most Gracious, the Ever Compassionate
The Closing Statement of the International Congress on the Role of the Shi'a School in the Emergence and Development of Islamic Sciences
(The Holy City of Qom)
By the grace of Allah and by the blessing of Imam Mahdi (‘a) the Congress on the Role of the Shi'a School in the Emergence and Development of Islamic Sciences was organized by the order of the Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi. During its two years of activities, fifty-five volumes of valuable books were compiled by prominent scholars of Islamic seminaries and universities. This was a great service to the Islamic world as it has shed light on the role of the Ahl al-Bayt and the great Shi’a scholars in the establishment and development of Islamic sciences (including Quranic Sciences, Hadith, Jurisprudence and Principles of Jurisprudence, Rational Sciences, Literary Sciences, History, Human Sciences, Ethics and Mysticism, and even Astronomy and Medicine).
Today, this fruitful Congress was held and it was attended by some of the most prominent Shi’a and Sunni scholars and Orientalists, many of whom delivered lectures at and submitted papers to it within the framework of nine specialized committees. At the end of the congress, each of the scientific groups summed up the findings of their specialized committees and offered their scientific suggestions. In conclusion, the most important outcomes of the congress can be expressed as follows:
1. Ahl al-Bayt (‘a) and Shi’a scholars were the founders of many scientific fields and have played a prominent role in the development of Islamic sciences. The Shi’a scholars are still making enormous contributions to the Islamic sciences and they will continue to do so, together with the scholars of other Islamic schools of thought, in the future as well.
2. This great congress will be the stepping stone for the next scientific conferences. In this regard, it is necessary to conduct specialized meetings on the contributions of the Shi'a school to different scientific field. It seems also necessary to hold regional meetings on the role of the Shi'a in the spread of Islamic sciences in different countries and regions around the world. Clearly, this can be achieved in cooperation with different countries, Islamic seminaries and scientific centers.
3. It is necessary that the Secretariat of the International Congress on the Role of the Shi'a school in the Emergence and Development of Islamic Sciences continue to work in order to preserve the dynamics of the above-mentioned meetings as well as the completion and publication of its works.
4. It is essential for all of the scholars and experts of the History of Science and Shi'a Studies to help the Secretariat of the Congress with their comments to organize and conduct these meetings.
5. We appreciate the services of the scholars of other Islamic schools of thought to Islam and we also respect their substantial role in the development and expansion of Islamic sciences, and we consider all of these efforts in favor of Islam and all Muslims in the world.
6. Due to the establishment of the Comprehensive Website for Manus c r i p ts by the command of the Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi, along with this Congress, it is necessary for scientific centers and libraries inside and outside Iran to collaborate with the website for it to create a useful collection of the electronic versions of these valuable works of Islamic heritage. This is all done to keep and preserve these invaluable books and make them available to the researchers all over the world.
7. Participants in this congress and the scientific community of Muslims and the Islamic Seminary of Qom and the cooperative centers of the congress believe that it is due to thank the thoughtful and up-to-date Shi’a religious authority, Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi, who is one of the scholars who has contributed substantially to the development of the Islamic sciences, for the organization of this congress. It is hoped that this congress has been of service to Islam, science, and the school of the Ahl al-Bayt (‘a).
May Allah’s bounty and blessings be upon you,
The Holy City of Qom
May 11, 2018
Shaʿban 24, 1439 A.